DHS boys soccer

Duncan’s Levi Huff hits a header Tuesday in the Demons’ loss to Durant.

After staying close with teams in the early part of the season, the Duncan Demons suffered a setback with an 8-1 loss Tuesday to Durant at Halliburton Stadium.

The Lions posted two goals in the first five minutes of the game, and led 4-0 at halftime. The quick scoring put the Demons in a second-half hole, which they were never able to get out of. Duncan will play next at 7:30 p.m. March 27 when Lawton Eisenhower comes to town.

“It looks like we’ve been going backwards since our second game of the tournament last weekend,” Duncan head coach Danny David said. “I don’t know why. I don’t want to keep saying it’s because of inexperience, but we just can’t put a finger on it. We just didn’t show up tonight.”

Durant had two players notch hat tricks in the game, as Kane Lovelace and Daniel Miles each scored three goals in the Lions’ win. Durant also got two goals from Spencer Wallace, who scored the Lions’ first two goals.

Wallace started the scoring with a goal at the 38:44 mark in the game, and put the Lions on top 2-0 off an assist from Bo White with 35:09 remaining in the first half.

“Our defense just kind of let down,” David said. “With those two early goals, we were trying to play catch-up all night.”

Miles put in his first goal of the night at the 16:41 mark, and was followed by a Lovelace goal 10 minutes later. Lovelace found himself with an open net after Duncan goalie Tanner Gray went out to stop a shot, but was unsuccessful in securing possession. Lovelace gained the possession, and deposited a shot into the empty net for the Lions’ fourth goal of the half.

After playing a 12-minute scoreless streak to start the second half, the Demons put themselves on the board. Laker Greenwood scored Duncan’s goal, as he took a rebound off the Durant goalie, and poked it into the back of the net.

While the goal didn’t overcome the deficit, it did show the Demons’ coach that the team hadn’t given up.

“They keep working and fighting,” David said. “That’s the bright part. The keep trying to put it in the goal.”

Durant would go on to score four more goals to finish the game, as Lovelace and Miles each scored two. Lovelace got the Lions back on the board first, as he sent a shot over the outreached arms of Duncan goalie Darrick Marshall. Miles went low for his second goal, while Lovelace followed with a header at the 3:53 mark of the second half. Miles finished off the scoring with a free-kick goal with 28 seconds remaining.

Marshall, who took over the goalie position after the Lions’ fourth goal, came away with eight saves in the game for Duncan. The Demons’ starting goalie, Gray, had five saves, while Duncan’s offense finished with eight shots on goal.

Recommended for you