10-1 DHS fb

Duncan’s Lucas Scott fights his way into the end zone carrying two defenders with him for one of his three touchdowns against Western Heights Friday at Halliburton Stadium in the Demons 39-14 win.

It had been a while since the Duncan Demons had graced the field at Halliburton Stadium, but the return home was a memorable one for DHS as they moved to 2-0 in district play and 3-2 overall with a 39-14 win over the Western Heights Jets.

The Demons’ fullback Lucas Scott had a memorable night as well as he found the end zone three times. Scott caught two touchdown passes and ran one score in from 9 yards out.

“It was just the right play called,” Scott said. “I’ve been looking for it. I liked the run. I just saw the hole and took it.”

It was a big night for all of Duncan’s running backs, as sophomore tailback Jacob Miears caught a TD pass, and backs caught five of the seven passes on the night.

“We haven’t put anything new in,” DHS head coach Jim Holloway said. “The fullback (Scott) ran hard and the backs caught the ball well.”

The Demons also took advantage of field position, as the started at their own 20 just twice. Another plus for DHS was for the first time this season Duncan didn’t turn the ball over on offense.

“We didn’t turn the ball over, and we were able to contain their run game until the end,” Holloway said. “For the most part we did a good job of containing the run in the first half.”

Duncan’s first game began on the Western Heights’ 15 after Ryan Wilson returned a punt 27 yards and the Jets were flagged for a personal foul. Three plays later, Wilkins found Lucas Scott for an 11-yard TD reception.

Wilkins and Scott hook up once more on a 12-yard pitch-and-catch for a score. The 2-point pass failed, but DHS had a 12-0 edge with 2:07 to play in the first.

Western Heights’ J.D. Allen scored on a 1-yard quarterback keeper with 11:18 to play in the second period. Brandon Tee hit his PAT kick to cut DHS’ edge to 12-7.

With 4:28 left in the first half, A.J Hoffman connected on 23-yard field goal to put the Demons up 15-7. The field goal capped an 11-play drive that was highlighted by a 44-yard pass form Brandon Graham to Chase Hall on a fake punt.

Scott continued his scoring tear with a 9-yard at the 5:52 mark in the third quarter to cap a six play drive.

On Western Heights’ next drive DHS’ Brandon Graham intercepted a J.D. Allen pass, which set the Demons up on the WH 28.

Duncan strung together eight plays, the last being a 2-yard touchdown run by Caleb Knight. Hoffman’s PAT lifted DHS to a 36-7 lead with 2:02 remaining in the third period.

Hoffman hit his second field goal of the night from 34 yards out to put Duncan up 39-7 with 4:57 left in the game. The field goal capped an 11-play drive.

Western Heights’ Ronnie Quinn finished the scoring with a 14-yard TD run with 2:48 left in the game. Brandon Tee hit the PAT for the 39-14 final.

Wilkins led DHS in rushing with 16 carries for 104 yards, and was 6-of-11 passing for 76 yards and three touchdowns. DHS cultivated 301 yards of total offense.

Duncan is tied with Ardmore and Lawton MacArthur a top of district 5A-1, and all three teams have the maximum 30 points that can be carried over to this point.

The Demons will travel to take on the Highlanders at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Cameron Stadium.

Trending Video

Recommended for you