Desmond Pettit

Desmond Pettit tries to shake a Guthrie tackler early in the first half against Guthrie. However, the Demons dropped to 0-2 with the only Duncan touchdown coming late in the fourth quarter from Pettit.

The Duncan Demons will look to get the ship back on track, following an opening loss to Lawton High last week and a loss to Guthrie this weekend. 

The Demons traveled to Guthrie to take on the Blue Jays with the home Guthrie team taking the 31-6 victory over the visiting Duncan with a late score coming from the Demons. 

The Blue Jays got off to a hot start, as quarterback Josh Rains launched a 25-yard pass to Devin Simms. 

In the next play, Rains got a 16-yard rushing touchdown to give Guthrie the early lead. Following the point after kick, Guthrie held a 7-0 lead in the first three minutes of the game. Guthrie continued to press the issue, as Isaiah Hammons dashed to the end zone for 35 yards getting the touchdown. 

With the end of the first quarter coming close, Guthrie held a 14-0 lead and The Demons picked up the pace, as the defense began to force three-and-outs, giving the offense plenty of chances to score. 

The Demons got the ball inside the 20, but got the field goal blocked by the Blue Jays. 

Following another Demon three-and-out, The Blue Jays would try to throw a deep pass but would find the hands of Bryson Brooksher instead, reeling in the interception. 

Brooksher would not be the only one getting in on the defensive fun, as Desmond Pettit got another interception as the half ended. The Blue Jay would carry a 14-0 lead heading into halftime. The third quarter brought a lot of the same, but at the eight-minute mark, Guthrie began to make a push to distance themselves. 

Rains broke out a 73-yard touchdown run as Guthrie padded the lead, 21-0 as the halfway mark for the third quarter came. 

Hammons found the end zone for the second time of the game, extending the lead the third quarter ended. Heading into the final quarter of play, the Blue Jays led 28-0 heading into the final period of play. 

Guthrie converted the 35-yard field goal, making it 31-0 in the beginning stages of the fourth quarter. 

Pettit did not lie down lightly, sparking a 34-yard run with Brooksher following it up with a 12- yard reception, deep in Blue Jay territory. 

The drive came to a bitter end with a Demon fumble, recovered by Guthrie. 

The Demons finally got on board, as Pettit ran it in the end zone for 11 yards after a nice drive lead by Tate Wilkins. 

Guthrie held a 31-6 lead in the closing stages of the game over the Demons.  

The Demons fall to 0-2 of the year, with their next game not scheduled until Sept. 25 at home against MacArthur as this week’s game at Tulsa Central canceled.

Duncan Athletic Coordinator Bobby Cook spoke with Tulsa Public Schools Athletic Director and confirmed the cancellation. The Demons next game will take place at 7 p.m. Sept. 25 at home against MacArthur.

Recommended for you