Without a playoff berth in the picture for the Duncan Demons, the team knew going into the match that it would be the last of the season.

They could have folded, drifting through the match without a purpose and without intensity. That hasn’t been the attitude of the team all year, and it wasn’t Tuesday night as the Demons welcomed El Reno to Halliburton Stadium for the last match of the first season in Duncan history.

The Demons fell short of the upset with a 5-3 loss, but gave an effort that showed people in attendance why there is a bright soccer future here in Duncan.

“El Reno is a playoff team, and we had them on the ropes,” Duncan head coach Danny David said. “We let one slip by us, but we’ve come along way. I couldn’t be more proud of the guys. They played a whale of a game, but just came up short.”

El Reno struck first in the match, with a goal in the 34th minute of play. Alex Weaver scored the goal, with a sharp shot past Duncan goalie Tanner Gray.

Duncan would trail for the next 13 minutes, but tied the game on a goal from senior Randy Grimes. In his final game as a Demon, Grimes out ran the El Reno defender pursuing him and delivered a skipping shot that got by the goalie who had came out to try to stop the shot. Once the shot was past the goalie, it still had 20 yards of ground to travel before it reached the nets. It was close to missing the goal, but found the left hand front corner for the first Demon goal.

The teams would go scoreless for the rest of the half, going into halftime with the score tied at 1-1.

Duncan didn’t wait long before striking in the second.

Demon senior Caleb Shorter sent an arching shot from 15 yard away, clearing the goalie and giving Duncan its first lead of the game.

“He practices and makes those shots all the time in practice,” David said. “We haven’t been able to set him up in a game, but he got the opportunity tonight and made it.”

Gray and the Demon defense kept El Reno off the board for the next 15 minutes. Gray picked up eight saves for the Demons, playing the entire way as the teams goalie.

After the long lead, El Reno’s offense was turned up a couple of notches. El Reno began its resurgence with a goal in the 22nd minute, followed by another goal with 17:42 left. Two more goals in the final 10 minutes had El Reno up 5-2 and a commanding lead.

“Sometimes we try to think too fast,” David said. “They were trying to find out where to be and got out of position. It’s just finer details like that we need to improve on.”

Duncan got its final goal off the foot of Mason Dructor. The goal was unmatched by El Reno, and sealed the final score at 5-3. The Demons finished their first season with a record of 2-11. It’s not the statistical mark the team wanted when they started the year, but David said that he was excited about the improvement and play that the Demons showed all year.

“We started off with no one expecting us to win any games,” David said. “We were in every game at some point. They are always working hard in practice, and are trying to improve. I’m really proud of how hard they worked all season.”

Recommended for you