Duncan has seen the playoffs for three years in a row, but the Demons used turnovers and the running game to their advantage Friday night when they won 21-3 over the visiting Eisenhower Eagles.

Both teams battled for the entire first quarter to a scoreless game before the Demons used turnovers to take the lead as an interception gave Duncan the possession.

Taking advantage of the turnover, quarterback Tate Wilkins ran the ball in from 8 yards out to score the first touchdown of the game with 6:02 left in the half to take the 7-0 lead over Eisenhower.

The Eagles drove down the field, however the Demons’ defense kept the Eagles to a field goal with 3:58 left to play and Duncan leading 7-3 in the first half of action.

Both teams fumbled the ball away from each other with Duncan getting the final possession near the end zone. Wilkins then scored again with 44 seconds left in the first half.

Running the ball in from 23 yards out, the Demons’ quarterback gave Duncan the 14-3 lead at half as another turnover set up the final score with 1:09 left in the third quarter.

Chago Barham intercepted the pass for the Demons to put the ball at the 16-yard line and the quarterback for the Demons got his third rushing touchdown on the next play.

Running the ball in from 16 yards, the Demons set their speed on cruise and held on to the lead for the entire fourth quarter. Duncan ultimately won the turnover battle after six turnovers with three fumble recoveries and three interceptions.

Wilkins  had a big game running the football with 28 carries and 141 yards for three touchdowns.

Desmond Pettit also had a big rushing game with 19 carries for 89 yards. Pettit also had an interception for the Demons. 

Hunter Prince got the third and final interception for the Demons to wrap up the game and put Duncan at 5-3 on the regular season.

Duncan will have a tough task in the second round of the playoffs as the Demons will face a team who had a bye in the play-in round.

The team will travel to Bishop McGuiness and the time and date is tentatively scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Nov. 20 at Bishop McGuiness, but the time could change if both teams agree. 

Trending Video

Recommended for you