Creed Watkins

Creed Watkins throws the ball in from right field earlier this week against El Reno. The Demons won against Claremore and lost to Shawnee Thursday at the McAlester Shootout.

In their last tournament before postseason play, the Duncan Demons split day one of the 2019 McAlester Shootout by beating Claremore 10-2 and Shawnee beating the Demons 11-7.

After playing in two scoreless innings, the Zebras of Claremore started the offense first when a sacrifice fly gave them the 1-0 lead before the Demons got out of the jam with a strikeout.

In the bottom half of the third inning, Josh Bumgarner singled to start the inning off and Derek Bridges doubled to center to put runners on second and third with Tate Wilkins up to the plate.

Wilkins, facing a full count, was able to hit a line drive double to right to score Bumgarner and Bridges and take the 2-1 lead over Claremore.

Advancing on a drop third strike to third, Claremore, facing Peyton Roberson, threw a wild pitch to score Wilkins and give Duncan the 3-1 lead after three innings of play.

The Zebras, in the top of the fourth, got one back when the bases were loaded and a hit by pitch drove in the run to cut the Demons lead to 3-2 until the bottom half of the fifth inning.

A one out walk to Bridges brought up Wilkins again who got a big fly double to center giving the Demons the 4-2 lead and started the seven run inning.

The rest of the runs would come on two outs and two straight walks loaded the bases for Carson Kinnaird.

Kinnaird, staying patient at the plate, also drew a walk to drive in Wilkins making the lead 5-2 in favor of the Demons.

Hunter Prince and Connor Thaxton would also draw bases loaded walks to put the lead at 7-2 Duncan.

Josh Bumgarner, facing a 2-2 count, got hit by the pitch to drive in another run and give Duncan the 8-2 lead with two outs still in the inning.

Bridges would end the game with a single up the middle to score Prince and Thaxton and Duncan got the run-rule victory to head to game two of the day.

In the second game, the Demons took the 4-0 lead in the top half of the first when Bridges doubled to right field to score Thaxton and Bumgarner to take the 2-0 lead.

Wilkins would score Bridges on a double to left to give Duncan the 3-0 lead all with no outs but Shawnee was able to get two outs before the final run of the inning came in.

Jaxon Gregston hit a single to center to score Wilkins and headed into the bottom of the first where Shawnee scored eight to take the 8-4 lead after one inning of play.

Duncan kept their offense going in the top of the second when Bumgarner hit a double to center to score Prince and Thaxton to put Shawnee up 8-6 with no outs.

Wilkins would get the Demons in striking distance with an infield single to short stop to score Bumgarner to make it 8-7 Shawnee’s advantage.

The Wolves were able to shut the Demons down the rest of the game scoring three more runs to send Duncan to split on day one of the tournament.

Day two of the tournament started late due to rain and Duncan played Collinsville at 4:30 p.m. Friday and then host McAlester at 7 p.m. The results were not available as of press time.

Duncan will come home to resume their final district series hosting MacArthur starting at 5 p.m. Monday at Duncan High School.