Jace Gilbert

Jace Gilbert marches into the end zone to score the third touchdown of the first half as the Outlaws battled with Eufaula in the Class 2A Semi-Finals at Putnam City.

Marlow is championship bound for the first time since 2006 after they took a 28-16 victory over Eufuala to punch their ticket to the Class 2A State Championship game next week.

The first few drives for both teams stalled out. It wasn’t until late in the first quarter when Eufaula got the first score of the game by using the running game to their advantage.

Matt Clover ran the ball in from seven yards out to put the Ironheads up 7-0, with the Outlaws coming up with an answer quick a few minutes later.

A big play from Julian Marroquin set the Outlaws in the redzone with Jace Gilbert punching it in from two yards out to tie the game at 7-7 with the Outlaws’ defense getting the next score.

Most of the second quarter expired as the Ironheads worked the ball down the two-yard line and the Outlaws’ defense got a few stops for losses with tackles.

The Ironheads’ quarterback dropped back to pass with Will Bergner intercepting the ball and returning it for a pick-six to break the tie as he went 95 yards for the score to give Marlow the 14-7 lead.

With time expiring, Gilbert managed one final score before the first half expired. He punched it in from one yard to put the Outlaws up 21-7 with 56 seconds left in the first half.

Eufaula, able to kick a last second field goal, made it 21-10 at halftime with the Ironheads getting the ball first in the second half as they won the toss and deferred the choice to the second half.

With back-to-back interceptions, Marlow got the ball back with Bergners’ second interception after Gilbert threw an interception of his own to put the Outlaws with possession late in the third quarter.

It took one play for the Outlaws to add on as Gilbert hit Marroquin for 57 yards to put Marlow up 28-10 with the Outlaws milking the clock to end the third quarter.

Trying to make it a close game, Eufuala stripped the ball and gained possession with about seven minutes left in the game as they tried to make an 11 point game.

Marlow allowed one final touchdown as the Eufaula quarterback connected with Khelil Deere from 17 yards out. The extra point fell no good and only cut the Outlaws’ lead to 28-16.

Holding on for the victory, the Outlaws will now travel to Edmond to play in the 2A State Championship game. The game will start at 7 p.m. Dec. 11 and the Outlaws will face Washington, who beat Beggs in the other semi-final game.

Trending Video