Law enforcement has confirmed three dead after a Monday morning shooting at Duncan’s Walmart.

Law Enforcement has reiterated that there is no harm to the public at this time and the situation has been contained.

The call came into dispatch around 9:54 a.m. about an active shooting at the local Walmart with three down. Duncan Police Chief Danny Ford has confirmed three are dead, one woman and two males, which includes the shooter. Ford also confirmed a semiautomatic handgun, but didn’t know specifics about the weapon.

“Two were in a car, one’s out beside the car,” Ford said. “We have a pistol there, laying out beside one. We have multiple gunshots to the windshield.”

According to Ford, the shooting happened in the parking lot, but it is unclear if anything happened inside the establishment. Police are checking surveillance video and investigating into what exactly happened this morning.

As of this time, it is unclear how the suspect died. As for a motive, that also remains unclear.

“I don’t think anybody even knows them, we don’t even know who they are at this point,” Ford said. “They might by now but we hadn’t even looked at any IDs or anything.”

Ford said they’re waiting on Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI). OSBI Public Information Officer Brook Arbeitman has confirmed OSBI is responding and will partially assist with the scene. According to Ford, when OSBI arrives, it could take about an hour or two to process the scene, so Ford expects the area to reopen by later in the afternoon.

Ford says at this time, it is best to stay away from the scene.

“Unless they just have to be there in the area, it would be good (to stay away),” Ford said. “We have part of it cordoned off -- all the stores are open but the traffic flow is not good because we are on the south end of Walmart and we’ve got quite a bit of it cordoned off. It’s very congested.”

No other injuries have been reported, Ford said.

An employee of the establishment agreed to speak with The Banner about the incident as long as anonymity was granted. They said they were outside working when it happened.

“I all I saw was -- I saw the gun, I heard some ‘popping,’ turned around and saw the gun and rushed inside,” they said.

Identifications of the deceased have not yet been released as law enforcement is still trying to notify next of kin.

Police say that more information should become available in the next few hours, though a press conference has not yet been scheduled at this time.

More on this story as it develops.

Recommended for you