By The Banner staff
Two ballot questions being considered by Duncan’s City Council for the Feb. 13 election were not discussed at Tuesday night’s council meeting, because the paperwork neccessary to put the questions on the ballot was not ready to be approved.
“Our bond counsel didn’t have it ready, but they will have it here at the Nov. 28 meeting,” explained City Manager Clyde Shaw.
A $20 million general obligation bond issue for street improvements and a one-half cent sales tax to repay that debt are the issues the council hopes to take to the voters early next year.
The election proclamation for the bond issue will be required to include a detailed list of street improvements on which the funds would be spent, and although the rest of the proclamation was not ready for approval, Duncan Public Works Director Scott Vaughn presented the “refined” list of projects to the council. Previously approved street reconstruction projects were divided into annual segments and included a projected 5 percent increase per year for inflation, which was another factor recommended by the bond counsel, said Vaughn.
Later in the meeting, Vaughn gave a brief update on an already budgeted street project, the Elk Avenue Improvement project.
The segment of Elk between 10th and Fifth Streets should be open to traffic by the end of this calendar year, said Vaughn.
“We are very near paving the road,” he explained. “But at this stage, Mother Nature controls a lot of what you do.”
Further to the west, the segment of Elk from Chisholm Trail Parkway to the bypass will be discussed in a public meeting Thursday night, Vaughn continued.
The plan is to make that segment a four-lane road, using funding from both the city and the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, he stated.
The public hearing on the project is at 7 p.m. at the Simmons Center.
During the consent agenda, the council approved:
• Purchase and installation of a wireless alarm system for the Municipal Court and Cashiers from Secure Tech Systems in the amount of $5,607;
• Purchase of a riding lawnmower for the Water Department from Standridge of Duncan, in the total amount of $6,186.26;
• Payment of $6,650 to England Construction for services rendered on the Elk Avenue Improvements Project-2005.
• Payment of $251,213 to Overland Construction for services rendered on the Asphalt Road Improvements 2005 Project.
• Sale of a surplus 1988 GMC two-ton truck with aerial device to Bishop Electric in the amount of $10,001;
• Ratifying the action of staff in authorizing emergency repairs to sewer service lines on Sunset Drive in the amount of $3,822.28;
• A contract not to exceed $11,100 for a feasibility study for proposed Duncan Regional Hospital Inc. Outpatient Imaging Center Expansion Project per ordinance 1544;
• A contract for services with Geostat Inc. for computer base map update and development task not to exceed $15,000;
• A resolution to use the services of Cobb Engineering Co. to perform the next phase of Duncan’s Bridge Inspections, required every two years and paid for as a 80-20 percent match with federal funding paying 80 percent and the city picking up the remaining 20 percent;
• A motion canceling the Dec. 26 Duncan City Council meeting.
By The Banner staff
This Week's Circulars
ADA [ndash] Jennifer Nichole Hood, 32, of Ada, Oklahoma passed away Monday, October 19th, 2020 in Ada. Graveside services will be at 10 a.m., Saturday, October 24th, 2020 at Rosedale Cemetery in Ada, Oklahoma. Please follow us on Facebook at Estes~Phillips Funeral Home for up to date service…
ROFF [ndash] Services for Jennifer Brenda Kirk, 49, of Roff are 10 a.m. Saturday at the Oak Grove Church, north of Sulphur, Rev. Fred Bailey will officiate. Burial will be 2 p.m. at Fairview Cemetery at Apache, OK. Mrs. Kirk passed away Monday, October 19, 2020, near Wynnewood. She was born …
- Lost ring found after 50 years returned to owner
- Stephens County COVID-19 numbers up after another spike in state numbers
- COVID-19 active case count shows another increase in county
- Updated: Longtime community leader Ed Apple passes away
- Outlaws earn seventh victory, stay perfect on season
- COVID-19 numbers decrease in Stephens County
- Outlaws continue perfect season, win Xpress Wellness Team of Week
- OSDH: Stephens County continues to see increase in COVID-19 cases
- Health department disbands unit responding to COVID
- Stephens County students talk college life amid COVID-19