U.S. Marshals informed the Stephens County Sheriff’s office of the presence of a Lawton homicide suspect in Stephens County where he was caught and apprehended Monday afternoon.

Coyante Williams aka “Tae” had a warrant issued last week in the alleged shooting of Kalob Porter on NW 53rd street in Lawton. Porter passed away due to injuries from the shooting.

Stephens County Sheriff Wayne McKinney was contacted early Monday morning with a tip that Williams was in Comanche and wanted to put a plan in action to arrest him.

“We were contacted by the U.S. Marshals and they had a warrant for this individual…they had reason to believe that he could possibly be in the Comanche area in a residence,” McKinney said. “They asked us if we would assist them in serving a high risk arrest warrant on the person. The Marshals came to the Sheriff’s office and we got together a plan. We had an agent from the Bureau of Indian Affairs here to make sure if there was a problem with McGirt in some fashion that we would be covered.”

After devising the plan, McKinney called Comanche Police Department to inform them they would be in their city limits and Comanche Police Chief Bill Straily joined in with the U.S. Marshals.

Straily stated that along with the U.S. Marshals, they made contact with the individual and were able to successfully apprehend him. Stephens County Sheriff’s office along with the U.S. Marshals took custody of Williams.

McKinney said there were other residents involved but they were able to get them out of the house first and with a little negotiation, they were able to get Williams to surrender.

“With a little negotiation for about 20 minutes, he decided to turn himself over and came out without further incident,” McKinney said. “Once he was arrested, two of my deputies transported him to the Lawton Police Department jail.”

Williams’ warrant was issued on Sept. 10 in Comanche County with three charges filed of Shooting with Intent to Kill, Assault and Battery with Deadly Weapon and Kidnapping.

Sheriff McKinney was unable to say whether the residents of the house he was in upon arrest knew anything about the warrant that was issued in connection with the crime.

“I can’t answer that question because I don’t know for sure. I think those people were some relation to him, but not 100 percent sure about that,” McKinney said.

McKinney said the BIA agent was not needed as there were no issues pertaining to McGirt and he was glad that this situation didn’t escalate.

“The entire operation went very well and a lot of good coordination with the Marshals which we have had in the past as well,” McKinney said. “We all worked together and it resulted in a safe outcome. We got a murder off the streets so I’m happy with that.”

Trending Video