Grill causes fire on Maple

The Duncan Fire Department (DFD) and Duncan Police responded  to a house fire around 7 p.m. Sunday at 6th and Maple, as residents in an above garage apartment took a leap for their safety as their only staircase was set ablaze. DFD Chief Dayton Burnside said the cause of the fire appeared to be a charcoal grill in the garage near the stairs, which it caught a light. Burnside said the two occupants had minor injuries from their escape but were otherwise ok and the Red Cross is helping them.