House fire

Firefighters confer the hot spots are out after a morning fire.

A Duncan woman and her 11-year-old son are displaced after a fire destroyed their home of 14 years Saturday morning.

The boy attempted to put out the flames that were engulfing the home in the 200 block of S. 22nd Street before firefighters arrived around 8 a.m. Saturday.

Duncan Deputy Fire Chief Dayton Burnside said the home sustained around $50,000 in damage.

“The whole front end of the home was involved,” Burnside said. “The fire was extinguished and the occupants weren’t in the home.”

The fire appeared to be an electrical fire caused by overloading of an electrical outlet, he said.

There were no operational smoke detectors in the home, and the Duncan Fire Department provides free smoke detectors and testing, Burnside said.

Tracy Garrett, the resident, said the home wasn’t in her name yet, so homeowner’s insurance didn’t apply.

The American Red Cross provided funds to help with necessities, such as food and clothing, and paid for three nights in a local hotel, Garrett said.

“I just want somewhere safe to stay with my son,” she said.

Those wishing to help the Red Cross provide assistance to locals affected by disasters, such as fires, can contact the Great Plains branch at 580-355-2480 or online at www.redcross.org/combined-donate.

Trending Video

Recommended for you