Fire damages home over weekend

There was a house fire Sunday on the corner of 7th and Sycamore in Duncan. The occupants of the home got out safely with no injuries.

A fire occurred Sunday at a home on the corner of 7th and Sycamore in Duncan. The occupants of the home got out safely with no injuries according to Duncan Fire Chief Dayton Burnside.

“It’s still under investigation, but it appears to be related to an overloaded electrical system,” he said.

The home wasn’t a total loss.

“It has been vacated, it is not livable right now,” Burnside said.

Burnside said the fire department knows the Red Cross has been helping the family and inquires about helping them should be directed there.

With the weather turning cold again Burnside wants everyone to stay safe.

“We want people to be mindful of overloading their outlets, and keep your blankets and combustibles a good distance from space heaters that people are utilizing,” he said. “Make sure your carbon monoxide and smoke detector batteries are current and they are in working order. If not, we still come by and install them.”

To contact the fire department at the Administration non-emergency line 580-251-7728. Hours are 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Contact the Oklahoma Red Cross’ South Central location, 405-273-8800.