Michael Dillon Breeze

Michael Dillon Breeze

DUNCAN — A man accused of threatening Red River Technology Center on a popular social media platform sits behind bars in the Stephens County Jail on a $150,000 bond.

Michael Dillon Breeze, of Duncan, is charged with terrorism hoax after two or more felony convictions. Charges from the District Attorney’s office show Breeze, 24, is accused of “threatening to perform an act of violence against the persons at Red River Technology Center that caused fear, intimidation, or anxiety and a reasonable belief by any victims that such threat was an act of terrorism to disrupt the daily functions of Red River Technology Center.”

Police affidavits show law enforcement learned about the threat around 10:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 6, 2020, when dispatch took numerous calls reporting threats made by an unknown individual. Reports advised threats were toward “a number of students” on Snapchat by an individual using the user names “Mark Smith” and “School Shooter.” Screen shots were also provided to police, according to an affidavit, and threats included obscene language and violence related to shooting. 

Some threats included specific names, according to police reports, and RRTC staff chose to close the campus Tuesday, Jan. 7. Names of students in the threats mostly included those enrolled in a specific program.

“The day-long closure affected high school and adult students and staff across a three county area,” states the police report.

Police requested SnapChat provide information on the two screen names and those names were tracked backed to emails “votechshooter2020@icloud.com” created at 9:41 p.m. Monday, Jan. 6 and “marksmithpewpew@gmail.com” created 10 minutes later. Detectives believed both emails were created from the same device and by obtaining IP addresses, determined the service provider to be T-Mobile.

On Tuesday morning, detectives received numerous phone calls and pursued leads on the investigation. Around 11 a.m., they received a call from Michael Breeze, who said he was a student at RRTC and “wanted to offer his assistance,” reports show. Police recognized Breeze’s name as someone who reported the threats Monday night.

Search warrants came in around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday for Snapchat and data obtained showed the GPS coordinates of the device. 

Around 1:45 p.m., detectives contacted Breeze and asked if he could “come to the police department and help with the investigation,” reports state. “Breeze was silent, and when he spoke he seemed to be nervous.” He told police he couldn’t meet at the police department and said he could help over the phone instead. 

Detectives arrived at Breeze’s house around 2 p.m. Reports show after investigators advised why they were there, Breeze “became very nervous, and appeared to be flushed and short of breath.” He denied making any threats and asked to see proof. Law enforcement asked if anyone else had been in the home and he said no.

Reports show a witness said they were with Breeze all evening and “it was impossible for him to have made the threats.” Breeze then advised the neighbors often have students over and it could have been one of them but he didn’t know who they were.

Breeze was detained and on the way out of the residence Breeze again asked for proof, so detectives told them they knew he had “US Cellular phone service” but Breeze said he didn’t and confirmed he had “T-Mobile.”

Detectives retrieved Breeze’s telephone after he allowed them “to download it.”

Under Miranda, Breeze “denied any involvement in making threats” and was placed under arrested and transported to jail.

Breeze was previously convicted of five counts of burglary in the second degree after a felony conviction and one count of possessing a debit card belonging to another after a felony conviction.

Breeze made an initial appearance before a judge where he received a $150,000 bond. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for 9 a.m. March 4, 2020. Breeze is to have no contact with states witnesses.

The crime is punishable by imprisonment up to 10 years, but after a former felony conviction could bring time of four years to life.

Recommended for you