Duncan Wreck

Investigators work at the scene of a fatality wreck in Duncan that caused two young adults from Texas to lose their lives on Thursday. 

UPDATE: According to Oklahoma Highway Patrol (OHP), a third fatality was reported from last Thursday evening’s collision in Stephens County.

OHP reported, John K. Salazar (SIC), driver of the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado, succumbed to his injuries early Tuesday morning at OU Medical Center from injuries sustained in this collision.


Two young Texas adults were killed in a head on collision in a late Thursday evening wreck on the south side of Duncan that involved three cars.

According to reports from the Oklahoma Highway Patrol  (OHP), the fatalities included Kennedy L. Caldwell (SIC), a 20 year old female of Denton, Texas, and Connor C. Slocum (SIC), a 19 year old male from Aubrey, Texas.

Around 7:42 p.m. Thursday, June 17, calls came of a fatality collision at US-81 just a half mile north of E 1790 Road and 2/10ths of a mile south of Duncan in Stephens County.

Investigators from Oklahoma Highway Patrol said that vehicle one was occupied by Caldwell and Slocum and the second vehicle were traveling northbound while vehicle number three was going southbound on Highway 81.

The first vehicle, according to the report, attempted to pass the second vehicle and struck the third vehicle head on in the southbound lane, which caused vehicle two to strike vehicle one before departing the roadway on the left.

First responders reported to the scene and pronounced both Caldwell and Slocum at the scene. They were transported by Southern Plains  Mortuary Services to the Oklahoma Medical Examiner’s office.

According to officials with Oklahoma Highway Patrol, as of 9:32 a.m. Friday, June 18, there have been only two reported deaths to their office at this time.

Vehicle two’s driver, Jerry W. Pardue (SIC), a 74 year old male from Duncan, was transported by Air Evac to OU Medical Center and was admitted in critical condition with head, trunk internal and trunk external injuries.

The third vehicle’s driver, John Keith Salazar, a 50 year old male from Waurika, and a minor passenger were transported by AMR to Duncan Regional Hospital. 

The passenger was released with injuries and Salazar was transported to OU Medical Center, where he was admitted in fair condition with head, leg and trunk internal injuries.

Salazar was the head umpire for Comanche Sports Group LLC, and the group made a statement wishing their umpire a speedy recovery.

“As most of you already know there was a head on collision on 81 yesterday and our head umpire Keith Salazar was in that wreck,” the statement read. “Keith is in stable condition at OU Medical and is waiting on surgery plans and has a long road in recovery. Please say a prayer for Keith and his surgery team that he would be back in full health. After 4 years of working with Keith he is like family to us. Also keep the other families that were involved in that wreck in your prayers also.”

Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Stephens County Sheriff’s Office, Duncan Police, Comanche Police, Meridian Fire, Comanche Fire, Duncan Fire, AMR and Air Evac all reported to the scene.

The road was closed to all lanes of traffic for four hours and 21 minutes, according to the report from Oklahoma Highway Patrol. The roadway reopened at 12:03 a.m. Friday, June 18.

Trending Video

Recommended for you