police lights

A Duncan man who lawmen said kidnapped a victim and held them at gunpoint was arrested in Oklahoma City after an hour long manhunt, according to Stephens County Sheriff Wayne McKinney.

According to court records, Terry Joe Robertson, 41, of Duncan, faces charges of feloniously pointing a firearm after a former felony conviction and kidnapping after a former felony conviction.

Stephens County Communications Center received a tip on May 13 there was a possible assault and kidnapping at Lake Fuqua. The victim advised around 10:30 a.m. May 12 they went to Robertson’s residence to return a piece of clothing and while the victim and Robertson talked, deputies knocked on the door.

“(The victim) advised deputies that he (Robertson) had become very angry and violent when he learned investigators from the Sheriff’s Office were looking for him in connection with a series of burglaries in the county,” McKinney said. “The victim stated to investigators that Terry Roberston made (the victim) drive him to an isolated area around Lake Fuqua. Once he fell asleep, (the victim) was able to escape and notify the Sheriff’s Office.”

The victim described the gun as what they believed to be a .22 revolver. The victim also said before Robertson fell asleep at the lake, he got out of the vehicle and pointed the handgun at the victim. The victim said Robertson told them, “if you don’t do what I say, I’ll kill you,” according to reports.

Before Robertson fell asleep, he got the truck stuck. Once he was asleep, the victim ran away and found a ride back to Duncan.

In the morning hours of May 14, McKinney said deputies and investigators, “utilizing analytic data along with other investigative tools” found Robertson located in the northwestern portion of Oklahoma City.

“Stephens County Sheriff’s deputies along with Oklahoma City Police K9, helicopter and officers located him after approximately an hour long manhunt and took him into custody without further incident,” McKinney said.

McKinney said the burglary investigation is continuing at this time.

Bond for Robertson is set at $500,000. A preliminary hearing conference is set for 9 a.m. July 15, 2020.

Recommended for you