Duncan High School’s ninth annual week of philanthropy is officially upon the Duncan Demons.
Students participating in HALO — Helpful Attitudes Leading Others — week officially revealed their 2021 recipients for the money raised this year.
This year, money raised from HALO week will go to help Mason Hightower, a former Duncan High School student who recently had a heart transplant, as well as Gabriel’s House, a Christian organization based (non-denominational) after school program that serves in Duncan, Comanche and Empire.
Dawn Wainscott, Social Studies teacher and sponsor, said each year, the Student Council members work to organize and carry out HALO.
Leading up to HALO Week, several businesses will shine a spotlight on HALO and donate a portion of their proceeds towards HALO recipients.
On Tuesday, Feb. 23, restaurants kicked off their portion to help HALO proceeds. First, Jitters Coffee House participated from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m., and gave 15% of all sales to HALO’s cause. The second restaurant who took part Tuesday became The merchant, who opened from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and gave 10% of sales to support HALO Week.
Restaurants will continue to help throughout the week.
On Wednesday, Feb. 24, enjoy a meal at La Fiesta in support of HALO Week.
As HALO Week kicks off, so do spirit days. Events scheduled for next week include spirit days for students to participate in as well as activities for community members, such as:
• March 1, Marvel Monday: featuring your favorite super hero.
• March 2, Lion King: featuring your safari attire.
• March 3, Star Wars: featuring your space gear.
• March 4, Disney World: featuring your favorite disney character.
• March 5, HALO reveal day: The official reveal of how much money was raised will take place at 1 p.m. through an assembly at the Duncan High School. Those attending should make sure to wear their HALO shirts.
The money raised during HALO Week stays within the community and is donated to local members or organizations.
Those wanting to donate to HALO week can contact firstname.lastname@example.org or drop donations off at Duncan High School. All donations are tax deductible.