AARP Oklahoma is accepting nominations for the 2020 Oklahoma Andrus Award for Community Service. The award is AARP's most prestigious statewide volunteer award and honors Oklahomans age 50+ who share their experience, talent and skills to enrich their community members' lives. New this year, AARP Oklahoma will present the Andrus Award to the winner and a $3,000 contribution which AARP will donate to the winner's nonprofit organization of choice. Additionally, AARP will recognize two honorees of distinction who will direct a $1,000 donation to an eligible nonprofit by AARP. "AARP Oklahoma is excited to shine a light on Oklahomans who are using experiences learned in life to make a difference in the lives around them," said AARP Oklahoma State President Joe Ann Vermillion. Criteria for assessing nominations include how the volunteer's work has improved the community, supported AARP's vision and mission, and inspired other volunteers. The nomination deadline is August 28, 2020. Award winners will be announced in early fall. AARP Oklahoma Andrus Award for Community Service nominees must meet the following eligibility requirements:
• The nominee must be 50 years or older.
• The achievements, accomplishments or service on which the nomination is based must have been performed on a volunteer basis without pay. AmeriCorps VISTA and Senior Corps program volunteers (senior companions, foster grandparents, RSVP and senior demonstration programs) are eligible.
• The achievements, accomplishments or service on which the nomination is based must reflect AARP's vision and purpose.
• The achievements, accomplishments or service on which the nomination is based must be replicable and inspire others to volunteer.
• Couples or partners who perform service together are also eligible; however, teams are not eligible.
• The Andrus Award for Community Service is not posthumous.
For more information, eligibility requirements and nomination forms, please visit aarp.org/AndrusAward or contact Mashell Sourjohn at firstname.lastname@example.org. About the AARP Andrus Award The AARP Andrus Award for Community Service is an annual awards program developed to honor individuals whose service is a unique and valuable contribution to society. Last year, AARP recognized 50 outstanding individuals and couples throughout the country.