The Duncan Banner

Homepage

March 27, 2013

Structure fire caused by pet

DUNCAN — A family pet started a fire Tuesday morning that destroyed a structure at 1114 W. Pine Ave.

Around 9:34 a.m., Duncan firefighters responded to the blaze, which caused about $30,000 to the structure in the backyard of a home at the address. The fire, which was caused when the family pet knocked over a heating lamp, also caused $10,000 in damaged to two nearby houses. The fire was hot enough to melt the siding of the two homes.

“We were all in a hazmat class downtown,” Assistant Fire Chief Bobby Biffle said. “We were all fairly close.”

In all, 13 firefighters and four fire units responded to the fire. The intersection at Pine and 12th was blocked off by police vehicles.

Deputy Fire Chief Dayton Burnside said quick work by the Duncan firefighters helped to keep the fire from spreading to the nearby structures. He said the damage to the other houses could have been significantly worse if the firefighters hadn’t arrived as quickly as they did.

“They did a great job,” Burnside said.

The firefighters knocked down the blaze by using water, which was pumped through hoses. But once the flames were down, they switched to using flame-retardent foam, which was also pumped through hoses.

Biffle said the foam keeps flames from rekindling. But water cannot be sprayed on the area once foam has been put on an area.

“It kills the effectiveness,” Biffle said.

Since the beginning of the year, the Duncan Fire Department and other departments in Stephens County have stayed busy with numerous structure and grass fires. Biffle said there is some concern among fire departments as things head into a hot, dry summer.

“The scary thing is there’s no moisture,” Biffle said. “It’s so dry. Thing will just take off.

“We’re getting into grass fire season.”

1
Text Only
Local News
Old Settlers Picnic

The 6-man teams line up to start the ranch rodeo event at the 124th annual Velma Old Settlers Picnic.

Features
Sports
Education
Opinion