The Duncan Banner

June 15, 2014

Budget completed for city of Marlow

Tyler Boydston
The Duncan Banner

MARLOW — The Ford Motor Co. might consider coming to Marlow to do a TV commercial about the Ford Expedition in the city’s motor fleet.

It’s got 500,000 miles on it and still runs fine.

With its original engine.

Even so, all things must end, or at least change.

The reliable mid-90s model Expedition that just keeps on going was used for years to transport prisoners.

Now it’s being put out to pasture, but not to the junk pile.

It will be replaced in Marlow’s new $9.2 million budget by one of two new police cruisers.

The Expedition will still be available for whatever city business may come along, , said City Administrator Jason McPerson.

Marlow’s new budget is about a $600,000 increase over last year’s, McPherson said. There are no pay hikes in store for the city’s 42 employees, he said, but the city will continue to pay health, dental and vision insurance for its workforce.

The insurance costs are becoming more burdensome each year for the city, McPherson said.

“But it’s something I’m going to keep fighting for as much as I can,” he added.

The last across-the-board city employee pay hike was approved in 2012.

Major projects in the new budget include a $1.6 million transformer that is being added to the city-owned utility sytem. The cost is being financed by a 15-year note, McPherson said.

A new truck to dig utility pole holes for Marlow Power and a Jaws of Life hydraulic rescue tool for the Marlow Fire Department also are in the new budget, which was approved by the Çity Council last week.

The city plans to consult with Oklahoma State University’s Fire Extension Office this year to consider its options in making changes to Marlow Fire Department, which employs three full-time firefighters and relies on 22 volunteers, McPherson said.

Some citizens complained the city needs to abandon its mostly volunteer force and switch to a full-time department after a 25-year-old woman and 2-year-old girl were killed in an accidental house fire on May 17.