The Duncan Banner

Homepage

June 27, 2014

Banner celebrates 122nd birthday

DUNCAN — Today’s edition of The Duncan Banner marks the start of its 122nd year in business.

Founded by Col. J.P. Sampson in 1892, The Banner originally shared a 25-foot front building in the 800 block of Main Street. A picket fence down the center of the building divided Sampson’s hand-fed press from his saddle shop.

Sampson’s son, Fred, took over the paper in 1901 and sold it to Ed Leeman in 1922.

B.L. Abernethy purchased it in 1926 and moved it to the north part of a building at the corner of North 8th and Willow (the old Paul Smith Oldsmobile-Cadillac location) and later, in 1947, moved it across to the street on the northwest corner of 8th and Willow where the BancFirst parking lot is located.

Harrington Wimberly bought The Banner in 1963 and with the help of his daughter, Janis, and her husband, Al Hruby, built the current building at South 10th and Elm in 1972.

It was sold to American Publishing Co. in August 1997 and was sold again to Community Newspaper Holdings Inc. in February 1999.

1
Text Only
Local News
Features
Sports
  • Big game atmosphere VYPE picks Duncan to make playoffs

    Despite facing a rigorous schedule, Duncan was picked by VYPE’s preseason football preview to return to the postseason after a one-year hiatus.
    With new coach Craig Benson taking over this season, the magazine predicted Duncan will finish fourth in Class 5A District 1 ahead of Chickasha and behind Ardmore. The Demons are also ranked as the No. 16 team in the Class, with Lawton Mac being the highest ranked team in the district at No. 4.

    July 27, 2014 2 Photos

  • Dehydrator breaks participation record
  • She is Safe 5K draws more than 100
Education
Opinion