By Bob Morris
The Duncan Banner
The Duncan High School football team will look to improve its district record to 2-0 as it travels to Altus this Friday.
In the past 64 meetings between the two teams, Altus holds a 32-31-1 edge over the Demons. The two teams first played each other in 1921, a game that Altus won 27-9.
But in the last four seasons, the advantage has gone to the Demons, who have won each meeting between the teams.
The Bulldogs won in double overtime against Chickasha last week, meaning Friday’s game could have large implications as to who advances past district play.
In other games this weekend:
* Marlow vs. Mount St. Mary: After a tough 15-14 loss to Jones to open district play, the Outlaws will look to keep themselves in the hunt for a playoff trip as they host Mount St. Mary for homecoming. St. Mary opened with a district win last week,
* Comanche vs. Mangum: The Indians were idle last week because their schedule opponent, Riverside, cancelled its season after not having enough players. Mangum is coming off a 36-34 victory against Hinton last week.
* Velma-Alma at Wilson: The Comets gave Ringling a run for its money last week, but a couple of late Ringling scores allowed the defending Class A champions the win. Wilson, meanwhile, gave Healdton a run for its money last week despite losing 22-14.
* Empire vs. Walters: The Bulldogs, after a slow start against Rush Springs, finished strong and look to continue their winning ways in district this week. Their opponent, Walters, defeated Bray-Doyle 52-36 last week.
* Bray-Doyle vs. Rush Springs: Meanwhile, the Donkeys will take on the team that Empire faced last week. Rush Springs, despite its 0-3 start to the season, is considered one of the better teams in District 4-1A.
* Central High vs. Paoli: The Bronchos are emerging as one of the favorites to win District 2B. They’ve run the table in their first three district games and now get a Paoli squad that beat Macomb 36-6 last week. Central High, though, shut out Macomb 47-0 Sept. 20.
By Bob Morris
Glencoe tough test for Comets at state
Last year, the Velma-Alma boys basketball team dealt Glencoe its only loss of the season. On Thursday, the Comets will need a repeat performance to keep their hopes of a Class A state title alive.
Perkins-Tyron awaits Marlow in area tourney
As the only unranked team in Class 3A, Marlow coach Kirk Harris knows nothing will be easy in the area tournament.
Wood's defensive skills key to Comanche's success
No. 7 Comanche boys basketball plays No. 10 Alva on Thursday in a win-or-go-home scenario that could put the Indians two wins away from the state tournament.
Marlow No. 3, Central High No. 12 in first baseball poll
The first OSSAA rankings of the season came out for baseball Tuesday, with Marlow and Central High cracking the top 15.
Lady Demons showed improvement
Although the Duncan girls basketball team won just one game this season, coach Grant Givens saw much growth.
Demons excited about seasons ahead
The Duncan boys basketball team’s season ended at regionals this past weekend, but the players and coaches are excited about next season.
Benson plans ‘all inclusive’ program
New Duncan football coach Craig Benson is still making some decisions regarding the program.
One thing he does know: He wants the Demon football program to include more than just the high school players.
Indians ready for area tournament test
A possible fourth part of the Marlow versus Comanche saga awaits the Indians in the second round of the area tournament, but they have to get past No. 10 Alva first.
Comanche sophomore provides unique threat
Mason Taylor might be one of the biggest small forwards in Class 3A.
Any place other than Comanche he’d probably be in the paint, where he was before this season. However with the welcome addition of ESPN top 150 senior center Jacob Hammond and right-tackle-turned-power-forward Cody Crow, the post was too full for Taylor squeeze his way in.
Price looks forward to baseball season
Empire’s baseball season is underway. Senior catcher Stephen Price is expected to be a leader on a team that has a new coach in Stefan Hunt.
- More Sports Headlines
- Glencoe tough test for Comets at state