The Duncan Banner

May 10, 2013

Outlaws advance to semifinal round at State

Evan Grice
The Duncan Banner

EDMOND — If there was ever a time for a masterful pitching performance, Beau Meshell saved one of his best for the State Quarterfinals Thursday night.

Entering in the third inning in relief of starter Wakely Bergner, Meshell threw 4 2/3 innings of brilliant baseball, striking out eight batters while allowing one hit on  one run. The end result was Marlow earning its first ever berth in the state semifinals with a 9-7 victory.

“I just knew I had to come in and get the job done,” Meshell said about entering in the third inning. “When the team relies on you, you have to do a job. It felt so good throwing that last pitch and getting the final out. This is an incredible feeling.”

Marlow head coach Jeff Brewer added he thought about taking Meshell out in favor of Trey Coffman with two outs in the seventh.

“When I went out there, Beau just told me ‘I got this and I can do it’ and I responded with ‘Alright I trust you’”, he said. “That’s the kind of trust we have on this team  and with one another. Each day, it doesn’t matter who the hero is for us, we’re going to play like a team no matter who we play. I’m so proud of these kids.”

Although when the third inning started, it didn’t appear as if a Redskins comeback was in the cards, considering they were down 7-0.

Marlow jumped out early in the game, taking the lead in the top of the second inning when Anthony Green slapped an RBI single to score Tyler Brite, before Austin Forsythe  beat out a throw at first base, allowing Kolton Jones to score to make it 2-0 in favor of the Outlaws.  

Green would later score on a wild pitch to make it 3-0 in the second inning.

When Brite scored in the top of the third inning thanks to a Meshell walk, it was just a precursor to what was about to come from Forsythe.

With the bases loaded and a 2-2 count, Forsythe drilled a hit to the left center field gap, allowing three runs to score and the Outlaws to gain a 7-0 advantage over the Redskins.

“I tried to keep my hands inside the ball and it just all came into play,” Forsythe said about his bases clearing hit. “I didn’t even know where the ball was because my adrenaline was pumping so much. This feels like all of our hard work is paying off.”

KHS though responded in the bottom of the third inning, first with Paden Hayes hitting a two-RBI double with the bases loaded to make it 7-2, before Danny Charley scored  on a wild pitch to make it 7-3.

Jake Patterson made it 7-4 with an RBI single, before Jared Hayes got an RBI single of his own to make it 7-5. Kingston got one more run through Tanner Holland before Meshell  came in and slammed the door shut.

Marlow struck back with a run in the top of the fourth through an Anthony Green sacrifice fly before Bergner scored on a wild pitch in the top of the sixth to make it 9-6 Outlaws.

Brendon Bobb gave the Redskins hope in the bottom of the seventh inning when he scored on a walk, but that was the last gasp for Kingston.

Bergner got the win on the mound for the Outlaws, throwing 2 1/3 innings of work, allowing six runs on six hits with four walks and four strikeouts.

Jake Patterson took the loss on the mound for the Redskins, throwing four innings of work in which he allowed seven runs on six hits with nine walks and four strikeouts.

Marlow (32-4) will now move on to the state semifinals where they will meet Vian, who was victorious over Stroud in its quarterfinal game, this afternoon at 1:30 p.m. from  Edmond Santa Fe High School in Edmond.