The Duncan Banner

February 23, 2013

Townsend 3-peats at state

Evan Grice
The Duncan Banner

OKLAHOMA CITY — While some went to the Oklahoma State Wrestling championships to seek redemption, others went in search of history.

For Comanche senior JonWayne Townsend, he not only made history but he did it in style.

Against Cade Wheelwright of Plainview, Townsend put on a wrestling clinic as he dominated the match to win a major decision, 16-5 and his third straight state title at 132 pounds, and become the first ever Comanche wrestler to win three state championships, and end his career with an overall record of 140-10.

“I feel great,” Townsend said following the match. “My initial goal wasn’t to necessarily make history at Comanche. I mainly wanted to be the best wrestler that ever wrestled for Comanche and I think I showed that tonight. I’m excited about going to the next level and showing what I can do. I want to thank Garrison McCauley for everything he did for me and my team for pushing me all throughout the season.”

From the opening whistle, the Comanche grappler never looked in any position except in control over Wheelwright.

An early takedown was just the start as Townsend showcased his talents in all three periods of wrestling.

But perhaps an even more impressive feat came following the match, when Townsend climbed up over the wall into the stands to give his mom a celebratory hug in front of a strong contingent of Comanche fans.

“Hard work pays off,” Comanche coach Jason Miller said about his senior. “I’m real proud of him, but the first thing about JonWayne is that he’s a great person. He loses like a man and wins like a man. A successful person is humble in victory and defeat and that’s how JonWayne is.”

As a team, Comanche finished in 12th place with Marlow claiming 25th overall.

Townsend’s teammate Ricky Kelly also managed to make the medal stand at state as he claimed fourth place in the 126 pound division after falling to Dakota Hagan from Blackwell in the consolation finals.

Corey Williams also of Comanche didn’t fare so well as he was eliminated in the consolation bracket by Marlow’s Logan Knox at 113 pounds.

Knox was eliminated in the consolation semifinal round, being defeated by Trey Jimenez of Berry by a slender 1-0 decision.

Cody Scroggins (132) of Marlow had a rough go at the state tournament, being defeated by Derick Shrum of Jay in the first round, before being eliminated by Dakota Simerly of Locust Grove in the consolation bracket.

Seth Scarbrough (Marlow) managed to make the consolation semifinals at 145 pounds before losing to Jared Schiber of Newkirk by a 3-2 decision.

Meanwhile, the Duncan Demons came into the second day with high hopes as multiple wrestlers were in the semifinals.

Unfortunately, none of them were able to bring home the gold as Christian Carnahan came the closest at 152 pounds, but had to settle for second place against Altus wrestler Cameron Loving, with a 2-1 scoreline.

MarkWae Sanders (113) had a costly disqualification in the semi’s against Ricky Kriege of Skiatook, forcing him into the third place match. Sanders rebounded with a 10-0 decision victory.

At 120 pounds, Jett Gray was forced to settle for fourth place as he fell to Cole Powers from Lawton MacAthur in the third place match by a 1-0 score.

Connor Kelly fell to Colton Jump of Lawton MacArthur in the 145 pound consolation semifinals by a score of 6-4, ending his chance of making the medal stand.

Cameron McGill fell in the consolation semis at 220 pounds against Austin Loomis of Deer Creek Edmond, getting pinned at the 5:37 mark.

Duncan finished eighth overall as a team.