The Duncan Banner

March 30, 2013

Demons knock out Harrah for 1st win

Evan Grice
The Duncan Banner

CHICKASHA — Saturday at the Chickasha Invitational for the Duncan Demons could be summed up using a famous Clint Eastwood movie title.

There was “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.”

While the Demons claimed their first win of the season, things ended on a sour note in the consolation championship game.


While soccer is known throughout the world as “the beautiful game”, DHS’ opening game on Saturday was anything but, except for maybe the result.

Duncan overcame a 1-0 deficit thanks to goals from Josh Adamson and Jesse Gonzalez to earn their first win of the season.

Goalkeeper Saul Garcia sealed the victory late on for the Demons, as he saved a penalty kick from Harrah’s Justin Cox with less than 10 minutes to go in the contest.

“I’m finally satisfied, and hopefully we can use this as motivation moving forward,” Duncan coach Marcus Williams said. “Saul (Garcia) is one of the reasons we’re able to hang around with teams and he played great for us today. Jesse has been begging me to go up top, and he produced a goal for us when we finally allowed him to go there.”

Unfortunately, all the fireworks between these two teams had nothing to do with skill or finesse.

With tempers already flaring in the second half, Harrah’s Eli Drew took it to another level when he appeared to stomp on Duncan’s Josh Adamson while he was lying on the ground following a foul.

The resulting motion ended in a skirmish at midfield with Drew being sent off for violent conduct.

Following the matchup, both teams had to be separated after words were exchanged in the handshake line.

Harrah initially took the lead through a shot courtesy of Dak Stephens in the first half, before Adamson tied the game with a long-distance free kick effort that found the top corner.

Gonzalez then gave Duncan the lead in the second half, as he collected a long pass from downfield and calmly scored the game-winning goal.


Against the Comets of Classen SAS, things went from bad to worse for the Demons in less than a half.

After two quality attempts on goal were saved by Comets keeper Jonas Lemuig, SAS took the lead through Justin Philipp at the 12:53 mark of the first half.

Then, with 55 seconds left before halftime, MarkWae Sanders was red-carded for a lunging challenge on a Comets player, leaving the Demons short-handed for the rest of the game.

Goals from Alex Okeke, Foster Barbow, and Forrest Johnson were too much for the Demons to overcome in the second half.

With the loss the Demons fall to 1-5 on the season heading into district play Tuesday night against Lawton MacArthur at home with kickoff slated for 7 p.m.