The Duncan Banner

April 16, 2013

Lady Demons bitten by Altus in Double OT

Evan Grice
The Duncan Banner

DUNCAN — Sometimes soccer, can be a very cruel game.

This was a lesson the Duncan Lady Demons found out the hard way Tuesday night against Altus.

After dominating throughout the game with a barrage of shots on the Lady Bulldog goal, it was an innocent dribbler off a corner kick which ultimately led to an Altus victory in double overtime, 1-0.

“We played aggressive and had great passing out there,” Duncan coach Delydia Gay said. “It was just unfortunate for us. There’s not a whole lot to say really except it just wasn’t meant to be. We hit the post, crossbar and had so many opportunities to score.”

With 3:21 left in the second overtime period, Altus’ Tori Buddenhagen sent in a swinging corner kick which took a deflection off several players before dribbling across the line for the game-winner.

The look of shock and disbelief along with silence filled the area at Halliburton Stadium, as the Lady Bulldog players and their fans celebrated on the opposite end.

It was perhaps an undeserved result for the Lady Demons, who were extremely unlucky not to have scored in regulation several times.

Shai Johnson had the first quality attempt for Duncan less than three minutes into the game, when he shot inside the box sailed just over the bar.

Stephanie Wainscott would also have her fair share of opportunities during the first half, as a couple of her attempts were saved by Altus goalie Riley Kinder.

Victoria Demar almost put the Lady Demons up when her header off a corner went off the side netting at 26:46 of the first half.

In the second half Courtney Moore also registered some quality chances on goal, along with Autumn Parker.

Johnson came the closest to scoring in the second half, when an attempted shot by her smacked the crossbar at the 13:50 mark.

In the first overtime, neither team could generate many scoring chances for themselves.

Duncan’s Charity Meadows almost won the game at 8:57 of the second overtime, when her attempted shot off her chest was cleared off the line.

Moore and Lindsey Trostle shared time in the goal, with Trostle playing the entire second half and both overtime periods.

“These girls never gave up out there,” Gay said. “It’s frustrating when you are out there getting all these opportunities and not scoring. To their credit, they kept pushing hard and playing tough out there.”

DHS will try and break its losing streak Friday night on the road against El Reno.