The Duncan Banner
SILOAM SPRINGS, Ark. —
Russell Blackerby was born May 20, 1927, in Santa Fe, Okla., to Delbert I. Blackerby and Frances Peters Blackerby. He died March 14, 2014 at his home. He married Yvonne Bradford on Nov. 3, 1950. To this union two sons were born: John R. Blackerby II and David A. Blackerby.
He is proceeded in death by his wife, Yvonne; his parents; and his son, John.
He is survived by his son, David and wife Debbie of San Antonio, Texas; his daughter-in-law, Virginia Blackerby of Wellborn, Fla.; two grandsons: John R. Blackerby III of Miami, Fla., and Aaron Blackerby of Austin, Texas; two granddaughters: Lacey Amaral and husband Richard of Weott, Calif., and Diane Helmer and husband Steve of Patuxet River, Md.; three great-grandsons and three great-granddaughters; two sisters: June Blumhof of Oklahoma City, and Virginia Stavenhagen of Pampa, Texas.
He was raised in the Texas panhandle and graduated from McLean High School at the age of 16, and worked in the oil field until he was old enough to join the Navy. Russell was stationed at San Diego and at the Naval Hospital, Norfolk, Va. Upon discharge he moved to Duncan, and attended Oklahoma University.
He retired as safety/health manager from SunOil/Tosco Refinery, Duncan, after 31 years and was a member of the American Society of Safety Engineers, Oklahoma Chapter and National Chapter. He served on the Board of Directors for Stephens County American Red Cross and as a commissioner to the Stephens County Health Department.
He was a charter member of the Noon Lions Club and a Member of the Chisholm Trail Kiwanas. Russell was active in the First Presbyterian Church of Duncan, serving as deacon and elder. He moved to Siloam Springs, Ark., in 1995, and became active in the First Presbyterian Church where he again served as an Elder.
Private interment will be held at Oak Hill Cemetery on Friday, March 21, with the memorial service at 2 p.m. the saeme day at the First Presbyterian Church of Siloam Springs.
In lieu of flowers, memorial may be made to the First Presbyterian Church, P. O. Box 606, Siloam Springs, AR, 72761.