The Duncan Banner
More bridge construction could be coming soon for Stephens County District 3.
During Monday’s regular meeting, the Board of Stephens County Commissioners approved a transfer of Interstate-44 Crosstown Bridge beams. These beams are part of an ongoing project by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation to recycle bridge beams and support from the I-44 Crosstown Bridge.
These bridge beams are being recycled by going to commissioner districts throughout the 77 Oklahoma counties. By using the existing bridge beams, the counties are able to save money on their bridge construction projects.
Stephens County has had several instances where ODOT has transferred bridge beams to the county’s districts. Whenever the beams are transferred, whether from the Crosstown Bridge site to the county or from the county to the bridge construction site, the commissioners have to approve a bridge beam transfer.
Additionally, the beams have to be inspected each time they’re moved.
“They have already been inspected,” Todd Churchman, District 2 commissioner, said.
These bridge beams will be used in Stephens County District 2.
In other action:
• The commissioners went to open bids for the supply and installation of an electrically operated, manual transfer switch connected to an existing generator and service entrance for the Stephens County Fair & Expo Center, but no bids were received.
For the project, which will require help from a licensed electrician, the county sent out nine bid applications. But none of the bid applications returned filled out.
Still, the project isn’t dead in the water. The county can get up to three quotes and follow up on the project instead.
• The board approved a transfer of appropriations within the General Fund.
• The board approved the capital outlay purchases for November.
• Among weekly items was the approval of county utility permits. The board received two for Stephens County District 1.
• The commissioners approved the minutes of the previous meeting, which was Nov. 26.
• The board also approved the payment of any purchase orders and the issuance of any blanket purchase orders. This is another item approved weekly.