The Duncan Banner

October 20, 2013

Majority of county schools show lower enrollment numbers

Derrick Miller
The Duncan Banner

DUNCAN — Most school districts in Stephens County had fewer students enrolled by Oct. 1 than at the same time in 2012.

Central High, Comanche, Duncan and Marlow school districts each noted lower enrollment numbers when the school districts hit the Oct. 1 cutoff mark. Oct. 1 enrollment numbers are the numbers submitted to Oklahoma State Department of Education. The amount of money each school district receives is based on those numbers.

The schools had until Oct. 15 to submit their Oct. 1 numbers.

Empire and Bray-Doyle netted gains in enrollment, and Velma-Alma stayed the same from last school year.

“Enrollment is up,” Empire Superintendent Vicki Davison said. “We had about 485 last year. We’re at about 508 this year. The safe room had something to do with it. Gas prices going down helped us.”

Only about 60 percent of Empire School District’s students live in Empire. The other 40 percent come from other school districts.

Bray-Doyle School District saw a gain from 349 students to 400, increasing enrollment by 51 students.

At Velma-Alma, Superintendent Raymond Rice said the school district’s enrollment stays steady, usually around 450 students. This year, enrollment was at 451.

“Basically, there’s no change,” Rice said.

Although several schools gained in enrollment or stayed the same from the previous year, there were four schools to lose students before the Oct. 1 cutoff.

Duncan went from 3,930 students on Oct. 1, 2012, to 3,864 students this year. Central High’s enrollment went from 434 students on Oct. 1, 2012, to 420 students this year, a change of 14 students. Comanche’s enrollment changed about 44 students, going from 1,101 students in 2012, to 1,057 this year. And Marlow dropped about 20 students when it went from 1,383 students in 2012, to 1,363 students this year.