The Duncan Banner

Local News

March 5, 2013

Woman's identity not released in Friday Spruce Ave. home fire

DUNCAN —  

The identity of the woman who died as a result of smoke inhalation, has not yet been released. 
The woman died following rescue by Duncan firefighters Friday night at 209 E. Spruce.
Duncan Detective Bill Fitzhugh, who is also the Duncan Police Department’s Fire Marshal, said Monday that he is waiting on the report from the Medical Examiner’s office, but the preliminary finding is that the woman died from the smoke. She was rescued and CPR was immediately initiated outside her home, before she was transported by air evacuation from Duncan Regional Hospital to Oklahoma City for medical care. She died in Oklahoma City.
“At this time, I can’t release her name. It was an accidental fire, from the door being left open on a woodburning stove. It was left unattended,” Fitzhugh said. Embers escaped and the fire quickly spread through the small home. She was found in her bedroom on the opposite side from where the stove was.
“I have spoken with her mother and her sister today,” Fitzhugh said.

1
Text Only
Local News