The Duncan Banner

January 9, 2013

Hearing set for man who threatened to kill wife

Megan Bristow
The Duncan Banner

DUNCAN — A preliminary hearing conference for Arthur Jackson will be held at 2 p.m. Feb. 8.

In his report included in the affidavit, Duncan Police Department Officer Nathan Carrio said Jackson had pointed a firearm at his wife and threatened to kill her just before midnight on Jan. 2.

Jackson’s wife said after returning home from a trip to Lawton, she found her husband passed out on the floor. She said he had been texting her strange messages and calling her while she was in Lawton. Hints from the way he was talking and his slurred speech led her to believe he was intoxicated.

Jackson came to and while eating dinner repeatedly asked his wife if she was “one of them.”

Later in the evening, Jackson’s wife heard sounds from the bedroom, which she recognized as the sound of Jackson loading a bullet into the chamber of a gun.

When she saw the gun sticking out of his pocket, she grabbed her cell phone to try and call her son.

“Arthur snatched the phone from her and pointed the gun at her head and said something about what it would feel like if she died tonight,” Carrio said in the affidavit.

Jackson’s wife then grabbed the cordless phone and tried to call 9-1-1, which prompted Jackson to rip the base of the phone off the wall. She grabbed a nearby ironing board to use as a shield.

Jackson again pointed the gun at his wife and asked her who she was and to talk to him if she was not “one of them.”

Jackson eventually lowered the gun and backed up giving his wife the opportunity to escape to the neighbor’s house.

Police recovered a black Haskell brand .45 caliber handgun, unloaded, in one of the front bedrooms.

The gun was lying on a cabinet shelf next to the bed.

A magazine for the handgun was also recovered in a lower cabinet.

A warrant for the defendant was issued on Jan. 3. Jackson has been charged with domestic abuse and feloniously pointing a firearm.