The Duncan Banner

April 17, 2013

Oil field accident leaves Pruitt thankful

Megan Bristow
The Duncan Banner

DUNCAN — The past eight weeks could have been very different for the Pruitt family. On February 19, Mickey Pruitt was the victim of an oil field injury that could have easily killed him. Despite a lacerated spleen, five broken ribs and three broken vertebrae, Pruitt said everything has went their way.

“I figure it is all because of prayers,” Pruitt said. “I do. You do not get that kind of luck.”

Pruitt, the owner of Pruitt Operating Company, LLC., was working with his men in the field when the accident occurred. He said he thinks a cable on one of the rigs snapped causing the floor to crash down pinning him in a cellar-like hole.

“I’ve had horses on top of me,”  Pruitt said. “I was always able to get up walk off, maybe not walk up straight, but I was always able to get up. I could not get up this time, which it is probably good I did not try to get up.”

 While some men lifted the floor, his friend Tommy Sanchez lifted him out of the hole. Pruitt stayed awake for the whole thing.

“I am a Christian. My friend Tommy prayed with me as soon as he got me out,” Pruitt said. ‘I said, ‘Hey man, be sure and call my wife.’ I figure I am leaving but the ambulance got there in probably 10 minutes.”

Pruitt was flown to the OU Trauma Center, where he stayed for six days.

“I was pretty impressed with the doctors and the Velma EMTs,”  he said. “The volunteers firefighters set up the landing zone on the practice football field. By the time we got to Velma, they were waiting on us.”

Pruitt left the hospital in a brace that keeps his upper body from moving. He was able to walk short distances the first three weeks. He said he has slowly been able to start more things with his business.

Pruitt said he has not taken any pain pills in over a month though he was wearing a pain patch over the broken ribs for a bit longer. Pruitt said the broken ribs has and still cause him the most pain. He goes back to the doctor on May 12 to see how much longer he will have to wear the brace.

“I heard them say I could quit wearing it,”  he said. “My wife heard them say they would wean me off of it. She probably heard what they actually said. I probably heard what I wanted to hear.”

Pruitt said the accident has changed his perspective on life in some ways.

“I guarantee you a lot of small things that you used to think about a lot do not seem to bother you as much,” he said. “Some things are exactly the same.”

“It makes you more thankful you are a Christian,” he said. “If you were not, you would have not time to make that decision in that situation.”

Pruitt received visits and cards from both people he knew and people he had never met before during the days he was in the hospital and during his recovery and prayers from countless others. Pruitt attributes these prayers to his health today.

“All I know is that it has all went the way we prayed it would go,” he said. “ I think everyone who was praying for me.”

Before the accident, Pruitt enjoyed roping, a sport he hopes to be able to enjoy again but he said roping has helped him recognize the difference between luck and God’s provision.

“Luck is when you are in a short round,” he said. “You throw a bad loop and you still catch and win. That’s luck. What happened to me, the Lord was watching over me. It is two totally different things. If somebody does not believe in God, it really narrows your picture on what life is supposed to be like.”

Pruitt has owned the LLC part of his business for 5 years but he has been in the oil and gas industry working for himself since 1981. Before that, he worked various jobs both in and out of the oil industry. Pruitt currently resides with his wife Cherylin .