The Duncan Banner

July 18, 2013

Man escapes structure fire on South Seventh St.

Derrick Miller
The Duncan Banner

DUNCAN — A Duncan man suffered burns to his hands and upper torso, following a fire early Wednesday morning at his residence in the 1200 block of South Seventh.

“The homeowner suffered injuries trying to escape,” Duncan Deputy Fire Chief Dayton Burnside said.

Duncan dispatch received a call about the structure fire at 12:27 a.m. Wednesday, and shortly after that Duncan firefighters were at the scene. Burnside said it took about 15 minutes to get the fire under control, although firefighters remained at the scene for about 1 1/2 hours.

He said the total property damage was about $30,000. The cause of the blaze was traced back to an overloaded electrical outlet, which caused an electrical fire, Burnside said.

But the overloaded electrical outlet wasn’t the only fire safety issue in the house.

“There were no smoke detectors present,” Burnside said.