The Duncan Banner

June 12, 2013

Two boys in custody after young girl’s death

The Banner Staff
The Duncan Banner


A 14-year-old Duncan girl was found dead in her home Monday and two juvenile boys, acquaintances of the girl, are in custody as of Tuesday, said Duncan Police Chief Dan Ford.

The victim was discovered by her father just after 4 p.m. Monday when he arrived at his home after work. The girl’s mother was also called home from work. The last time they had seen their daughter alive was about 7:30 a.m. Monday. Police arrived at the home, in the 20th and Walnut neighborhood, sometime before 5 p.m.

Ford declined to release the victim’s name Tuesday.

“This is a bad deal for the family,” he said. Because of the investigation and in trying to be sensitive, he also declined comment on how the girl died.

Ford did not name the two suspects, ages 14 and 16. Early in the day Tuesday, the 14-year-old had been released into his mother’s custody, but was taken back into custody and transported to the juvenile detention facility in Lawton. Ford said the delay was because there was not a bed available and that his age prevented him from being detained in the Stephens County Jail. 

The 16-year-old is being held in Stephens County Jail. The chief said that the dividing line is age 16, as to whether they are placed into the county jail or a juvenile detention facility. 

Charges have not yet been filed, Ford said. 

“That will be up to the District Attorney. We are a long way from having it all put together,” he said just before 2 p.m. Tuesday. He said affidavits would be submitted to the D.A.’s office this week.

Both boys were allegedly present at the time of the young girl’s death, Ford said. Each suspect had been questioned Monday night and again Tuesday, before the youngest was taken into custody, he said. 

Ford said around 11 a.m. Tuesday he received a message from one of the investigating detectives that they had obtained a confession. Details of that confession have not been provided and Ford said only that the young boy had admitted he was present when the girl died. 

There was a waiting period of a few hours Monday evening, while the police and family waited for a medical examiner from the state office to arrive. Ford said that it’s been a busy month for the state examiners and that there are only two available to process all the requests for this side (south) of Interstate 40.

Ford said when officers arrived on scene after getting the call, the girl’s death did not appear to be a homicide. Upon determining that it was a homicide, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation was contacted and a unit was sent to Duncan to process the crime scene. They worked until 12:45 a.m. and then returned at 9 a.m. Tuesday to continue the process. Ford said his detectives worked into the early morning hours investigating, before taking a break and then returning only a few hours later. 

“There is motive for the killing and the oldest will probably be arrested on probable cause. There is so much technical stuff with the law,” Ford said. “No one else has been implicated.”

This is the first homicide in the city limits of Duncan for 2013, Ford said.