The Duncan Banner

December 5, 2008

Hold ’em high

Demons pin Lawton Ike, brack gets 400TH DUAL WIN

Michael Pineda

DUNCAN — The Duncan Demon wrestling team quickly made sure that plans for a post game celebration in honor of head coach Tom Brack would not go to waste.

Justin Hughes started a string of three pins at 125 as the Demons took a 28-3 lead and cruised to a 52-20 win over Lawton Eisenhower. The win gave Brack 400 dual victories in his storied career.

“It’s not something that you sit around and think about but as you get older you start thinking about it,” Brack said. “I’d rather have it than not.

“The kids were pumped to get my 400th win, they were fired up. It meant a lot to me that they wanted to get it so bad.”

Duncan lost two of its matches and forfeited two to account for Ike’s 20 points. Six of Duncan’s wins came via pin.

“It’s the first match and we made mistakes and looked out of shape,” Brack said. “It wasn’t pretty, but it was a win. We made mistakes and we looked out of shape at times.”

Jerod Reynolds did not have to break a sweat at 103 as he was unopposed to give Duncan a quick six points.

Taylor Atchley came on at 112 and dropped a 6-4 decision to Rocky Pine. Atchley went into the third period trailing 4-3 after an escape but fell behind by three and couldn’t make up the difference.

With the lead cut to 6-3, Brack moved Justin Hughes up a weight, giving the nod to Chris Gilbert at 119. The junior responded with a 13-0 decision over Ronald Williams. Gilbert came close to pinning Williams in the first period, taking a 5-0 lead. After a scoreless second period, Gilbert took control, scoring eight points on near-falls to pick up the one-sided win.

The Demons began to flex their ability at 125 as Justin Hughes pinned Ronnell Williams to give Duncan a 16-3 lead. Hughes was in control throughout the first period, taking a 14-0 lead before getting the pin with :59.3 remaining in the second period. Kendall Carnahan kept momentum in Duncan’s corner, pinning Chris Stubblefield at the :18 mark of the first period.

With Duncan in front 22-3, Casy Rowell made his season debut and had an easy time with Cody Riley getting the pin at the 1:28 mark of the second period. Rowell had an 18-6 lead at the time, with all six points coming on allowed escapes.

Colten Ballard completed a string of five straight wins for Duncan, defeating Anthony Meriwether in a 9-6 decision at 140. Meriweather was within 8-6 in the third period but gave way as Ballard secured the three-point difference with an escape in the final minute of the match. Andy Ciesa was pinned at the 1:26 mark of the second period by Jesse Carter but Payton Atchley got the Demons back on track with a pin of Josh Jones at 152. Atchley’s match was much like Rowell’s in the fact that he gave up several points on escapes before pinning his out-matched opponent with :14 remaining in the first.

Matt Labyer picked up two much-needed points in the third period at 160 to secure at 6-3 win over Mannie Mobie. Duncan gave up the forfeit at 171, bringing Halston Marshall to the mat for his debut as a Duncan wrestler. Marshall proceeded to pin Jacob Davis at the :22 mark of the first period to give the Demons a 46-14 lead.

Duncan gave up a forfeit at 215 and finished the night with Lewis Jones turning in a pin at heavyweight. Lewis’ match against Garnet Sadler started slow but ended quickly as Lewis pinned the Eagle at :34 mark of the first period.

Bradley Brown also had a solid night, pinning Graig Emery in an exhibition match.